Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Painting Log: Ogrun Bokor

The march to get "caught up" painting all of the models I regularly use in Khador is once again complete: the Ogrun Bokor is painted. I was worried there for a bit that, in the time it took me to paint the TAC and the Bokor, the Grolar kit would come out, but it turns out those worries were unfounded.

I could probably strip them and repaint them before that kit even shows up on the release calendar, but that's a different discussion entirely.



Bokor, front view

Bokor, back view
Overall, I think it turned out pretty well considering how quickly I painted it. Start to finish that is; I ended up distracted by video games which drug the total calendar time out quite a bit.

The paint scheme is the quickest, easiest thing I could come up with: mercenary greens, standard metals and browns, and simple coats. I got a little fancy with the armor plates just because they're so large, but otherwise it was a very straightforward paint job. I wasn't going to try anything fancy with a model that is only likely to show up in one list.

One thing I'm rather pleased with is how the skin turned out. It doesn't translate especially well in the pictures, but I like the result of the highlights and the wash I put together. Also, the skin color was totally randomly chosen - I basically just picked up a random "passable skin" color and painted it - but I actually like it a lot. Yay for random choices working out, right?

There are two ironies with finishing up this model:

1) The one list I am running a Bokor in - Butcher3 - isn't a list I'll be running too often right now. Between wanting to play other 'casters, Convergence, and other games entirely, I don't know how often I'll be putting Butcher3 on the table in the near future. And on top of that...

2) I'm not sure that I even need a Bokor in my Butcher3 lists anymore. I'm most interested in experimenting with Butcher3 lists that allow him to play up the table with maximum safety. If those builds work out, it sort of negates the need for a defensive piece like the Bokor.

The upside (and the reason I was able to finish the model) is that if those build ideas don't work out I have the Bokor done and ready to get back to bullet catching.

With that done, I'm at a bit of a painting crossroads. I'm happy with where my Khador is in terms of being painted - everything I use consistently is painted - and I'll inevitably get some more stuff to paint due to how PP's release cycles work, so I'm in no hurry to paint more Khador stuff.

One compelling option is to paint up the Sytherion army I've managed to put together. I have a full 50 point list all ready to go (even primed up!) I'm very excited to play Convergence and have that as a palette cleanser for Khador, plus that army has the virtue of probably being very fast to paint up (as it's mostly drybrushing, then washes, then details.)

However, I'm also kind of excited to take a break from painting Warmachine in general. Even when the models are easy, Warmachine has a particular painting rhythm to it: either one larger model or several small models, all covered in little details (solos are often a godsend in this regard.) Sometimes it's nice to be able to move to a different set of models entirely, as their artistic design can allow you to approach painting differently. It can be a remarkably refreshing change of pace.

For that reason, my next few painting sessions will be devoted to Malifaux. I have a decent set of models painted for it already and given how slow the M2E kit releases are, I'd love to get caught up again. My ambitious goal is to paint up the remaining crews I have so that all of the stuff I own is painted. That way I just need to keep up with new releases which should be cake.

That is ambitious, however, because: 1) I'm not sure how well I'll be able to stick to painting Malifaux that long, and 2) all it takes is one or two cool Warmachine releases to throw me off that plan. My hope is that Malifaux's relative ease of painting and Warmachine's current release lull allow me to pull it off. Malifaux models tend to paint up pretty quickly; they have way fewer fiddly details than Warmachine models tend to and an entire Malifaux crew is usually only 7-10 models.

Next up: Rasputina's crew set.

No comments:

Post a Comment