Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Nanu-Nanu

A quick break from the usual topics.



A quote I was reminded of by someone else talking about this:
I heard a joke once:
Man goes to doctor.
Says he's depressed.
Says life is harsh and cruel.
Says he feels all alone in a threatening world.
Doctor says, "Treatment is simple.
The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight.
Go see him.
That should pick you up."
Man bursts into tears.
Says, "But doctor… I am Pagliacci."
 - from Watchmen by Alan Moore, Dave Gibbons, and John Higgins
The source isn't quite where you'd expect that kind of insight, but the quote is very appropriate, I think.

I grew up watching Robin Williams' work.  He taught me a lot about what it meant to be funny. He showed me that being the weird guy wasn't a bad thing. He made a big impression on me, and I've been a fan of his work for as long as I can remember.

Even though I never met the man I feel like I lost someone special. I suppose we all did.

My heart goes out to his friends and family. For what it's worth, I hope some good can come out of all of this. Hopefully this gets people talking.

RIP Mr. Williams. You will be missed.

Normal nerd musings forthcoming. In the interim, I recommend re/watching Dead Poet's Society.