Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Sorscha2 vs. Madrak2 - Meat Grinder

After lamenting about how May would probably be light on Warmachine practice games, I managed to almost immediately set up a game. Neat, eh? Join me after the break for the inaugural run of my revised Sorscha2 list.



Lists:
My List:
Forward Kommander Sorscha (*6pts)
   * Conquest (19pts)
   * Sylys Wyshnalyrr, the Seeker (2pts)
Battle Mechaniks (Leader and 3 Grunts) (2pts)
Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters (Cylena and 9 Grunts) (10pts)
   * Koldun Kapitan Valachev (2pts)
Great Bears of Gallowswood (5pts)
Lady Aiyana & Master Holt (4pts)
Winter Guard Infantry (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
   * Winter Guard Infantry Officer & Standard (2pts)
   * 2 Winter Guard Infantry Rocketeers (2pts)
Kovnik Jozef Grigorovich (2pts)
Objective: Bunker

This is the Sorscha2 list I mentioned in the last event write up, out for it's first game. Not much more to say about it other than I felt pretty good about throwing this list into just about anything, which is usually a good sign.

My Friend's List:
Madrak Ironhide, World Ender (*5pts)
   * Pyre Troll (5pts)
   * Mulg the Ancient (12pts)
   * Trollkin Runebearer (2pts)
Krielstone Bearer and 5 Stone Scribes (4pts)
   * Krielstone Stone Scribe Elder (1pts)
Pyg Burrowers (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
Trollkin Fennblades (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
   * Trollkin Fennblade Officer & Drummer (2pts)
Trollkin Warders (Leader and 4 Grunts) (8pts)
Fell Caller Hero (3pts)
Fennblade Kithkar (2pts)
Stone Scribe Chronicler (2pts)
Objective: Bunker

This is a list meant to pair with the Grim2 list my friend has been working on. Whereas the Grim2 list is meant to clean sweep infantry off the table, this list is meant to hammer-smash any tough elements, though it isn't a slouch in the anti-infantry department either (thanks in large part to the wondrous potency of Madrak2's feat).

Scenario: SR2015 Destruction


Deployment:
Deployment
Sorscha wins the roll off and opts for first turn. To clarify terrain: the green thing with a tree on it is a forest, but not a hill (despite it being elevated).

Round 1:
Lots of running/charging. Sorscha gets Iron Flesh onto the Winter Guard and Shatterstorm on the Nyss, and casts Boundless Charge on Conquest to get it up the table a little faster.

Madrak casts Warpath and gets Blood Frenzy onto the Burrowers, who then...burrow. Everything else runs/advances.

Round 2:
Start of Round 2
Sorscha Turn 2:
Sorscha upkeeps Iron Flesh and Shatterstorm (which I will promptly forget about) and allocates 1 Focus to Conquest.

The Nyss and WGI both advance (WGI under Bob & Weave with For The Motherland, Nyss Zephyr to move up further) and dump shots into the Fennblades and the Kreilstone. When the dust settles, big chunks are missing from both units.

Conquest contributes by firing a boosted shot at a Tough'd Krielstone model (hoping for a crit) and killing it (but no critical). Conquest then lays down Creeping Barrage templates at it's feet to hopefully hinder any charging Burrowers.

Number of Shatterstorm blasts actually resolved: 0

Madrak Turn 2:
Madrak upkeeps Warpath and Blood Frenzy. The Burrowers pop up amidst the WGI. The remaining Fennblades advance and attack under Vengeance, but don't connect with any attacks.

This turn is a flurry of attacks, courtesy of Madrak2's feat. The Fennblades charge into the WGI (under No Quarter; Terror check passes), the Burrowers aim and make various attacks (melee if engaged, shooting if not), and the Warders run to engage. Then Madrak pops his feat and lets everyone attack (again, in some cases).

After that frenzy of attacks, several Nyss and a chunk of the WGI are dead, with two on Fire thanks to the Pyre Troll. The Chronicler puts Hero's Tragedy on the Warders, while Mulg repositions to threaten Conquest.

CPs: Sorscha 0 - Madrak 0

Round 3:
Start of Round 3
Sorscha Turn 3:
Sorscha upkeeps Iron Flesh for free thanks to Sylys, lets Shatterstorm drop, and keeps all of her Focus.

The Nyss aim, Valachev Zephyrs (moving any engaged out of melee), and they put more shots into the Krielstone (killing everyone but the stone itself).

Joe gives the WGI For The Motherland, advances, and shoots a Burrower (killing it). The WGI then advance and fire off as many sprays as possible, making melee attacks if they can't get unengaged. The result is a bunch more dead Fennblades and Burrowers, some Tough'd Burrowers, and a damaged Fennblade Officer.

Sylys gives Sorscha Arcane Secrets. She then advances, casts Freezing Grip on the Warders (connects) and then retreats using Cyclone.

Conquest advances and shoots two of the Tough'd Burrowers with it's Secondary Batterys, killing them. It then fires an incredibly lucky shot at the Krielstone that connects, killing it and finishing off the unit.

Madrak Turn 3:
Madrak drops both upkeeps. The Fennblades continue to hack at the WGI with their Vengeance attacks, with little success.

Madrak buffs the Fennblade Kithkar with Blood Fury and Flaming Fists. The Kithkar then charges Conquest, doing 16 or so damage with it's two attacks.

The Fennblades and Burrowers continue to dump attacks into the WGI, picking off another one or two this round. The Pyre Troll advances and shoots one of the Great Bears, hitting but failing to kill (though setting him on Fire).

Round 4:
Start of Round 4
Sorscha Turn 4:
Sorscha upkeeps Iron Flesh (for free) and keeps all of her Focus. Volkov burns to death and fails to Tough it out.

The WGI, with Joe's help, continue to battle with the Fennblades and the Burrowers, finishing off the Burrowers completely. The WGI also CRA down the Chronicler.

The Mechaniks move into Repair positions and put in overtime, fixing all but 3 damage on Conquest's grid. Conquest moves over and punches the Kithkar to death (after one Tough check). The remaining Great Bears charge into the Pyre Troll (and the zone), killing it with their last attack.

Sylys gives Sorscha Arcane Secrets. She repeats last turn: advance, Freezing Grip the Warders (successfully), and retreat via Cyclone.

Aiyana and Holt advance, Aiyana casts Harm on the objective, and Holt puts a point of damage on it with his Handcannons. The Nyss then charge the objective, killing it (1 CP scored).

End of turn, Sorscha scores 1 CP for controlling the zone.

CP: Sorscha 2 - Madrak 0

Madrak Turn 4:
The Fennblades continue to hack at the WGI during the Maintenance Phase.

Madrak casts Warpath (for 1, thanks to the Chronicler), then kills a nearby Nyss, allowing Mulg to move forward. The Fell Caller aims and tries to spray the WGI that is blocking Mulg's charge lane, but misses.

Mulg then tramples over to Conquest, doing almost the entire left grid's worth of damage with purchased attacks. Mulg's last attack is aimed at a nearby Great Bear, which misses.

Round 5:
Start of Round 5
Unfortunately, at this point we had to clean up, as the store was about to close.

Result: Game called on account of time!

Post-Game Thoughts:
To make a guess at how the game would have played out if we had another 10-15 minutes to play it out:

I'd have tried to continue to chain freeze the Warders, while the Great Bears and Conquest take out Mulg. Conquest can almost handle Mulg by himself on Sorscha2's feat turn, even with zero Focus - it's a guaranteed 20 damage due to minimum rolls and automatic hits - so the Great Bears chipping in should be enough to finish it off.

At that point I just need to kill the drummer to control the zone and go to 3 CP (hopefully killing more of the non-Warder models that are around so I can prevent/mitigate contesting next turn). That puts me in range to win next turn with a zone clear and Dominate, which shouldn't be too difficult with what would be left.

There are two problems with that, though:

1) Deathclock. We were using them, though we didn't deploy on the clock. I was down to 7ish minutes left at the start of round 5, which would probably be 5ish minutes when adjusted for deployment. I could probably do what I need to in the time left, but it would be tight. Especially because of...

2) Tough. Most of my attempts to clear the zone would involve dumping attacks into a few Tough models, hoping to overload them. Great if they die early, but terrible if they make a bunch in a row and ruin my chances.

With that theoretical future out of the way; this game was a helluva fight. About what you'd expect given the two lists, but it really ended up being an absolute meat grinder in the dead center of the table. I have to apologize for how vague my descriptions of the turns get once the two sides start swinging at each other - there were so many dice being thrown around that I couldn't really keep track of specifics. Just know that lots and lots of infantry died over the course of those turns.

Things That Went Well:
The list worked well in general. The WGI were able to form a solid stall-base while also clearing out a lot of models (thanks to this list being a relatively lightly armored Trollblood list), and the Nyss added a very valuable secondary source of ranged attacks (with Hunter for extra B.S.) as well as some clutch Weaponmaster charges.

Special mention also goes to the Mechaniks, who went berserk with the duck tape. The Kithkar's turn of attacks were almost totally negated by that round of Repair checks, which made it pretty much impossible for Mulg to, by himself, kill Conquest. That was going to be a very big deal heading into late game, as Mulg is big and scary, and I was already down a Great Bear.

Also, for the first time in...I think ever, I was able to actually get Conquest up the table far enough so that Sorscha2 could hide behind it while still being on the good side of the Killbox.

Key Mistakes/Things To Do Differently:
Lots of stuff here, so into a list we go!

 - First and foremost: time. Although I didn't do anything particularly egregious (like with my 10 minute Widowmaker turn in the last game) I absolutely need to play this list faster. There are a lot of models to make attacks with and potentially a lot of rolls to resolve (sprays devour time) so I can't afford to hem and haw over early game decisions.

I got kind of hung up on what I wanted to do turn 2 - I knew I wanted to dump attacks into the Krielstone, but I debated whether it was worthwhile to proc Vengeance on the Fennblades to get early damage into the unit -  which made a turn that was always going to be long even longer. This game was probably going to come down to the final few minutes and every bit of wiggle room I can give myself is important in the long run. Especially in a match up like this, which was always going to be a helluva grind.

 - I, for no good reason, didn't run the Nyss very far on Turn 1. Looking back on it, I can't really think of why I didn't other than general timidity. The only gun in Madrak2's list that was even remotely likely to threaten them was the Pyre Troll and that was far enough away that a full run from the Nyss wasn't going to put them in range. Similarly, I don't need to worry about them getting engaged thanks to Zephyr.

Not running the Nyss up ultimately limited my options the following turn. I had to advance and Zephyr just to get some into range of the Krielstone unit, and even then many of them were short. It would have been much more advantageous to run further forward and then be able to either aim and Zephyr (taking just a few aimed shots, but only exposing a portion of the unit) or advance, shoot, then Zephyr back (to limit how many Warders can run into melee).

 - Related: although the Shatterstorm blasts probably wouldn't have done much damage (I'm not even sure how many I would have gotten, due to Tough) it was a big mistake to forget them. Any extra kills early free up attacks later, and its the main reason Shatterstorm goes on the Nyss early.

 - I barely got controlling models into the zone on the turn I destroyed the enemy objective; it was pretty much luck that the second Great Bear nudged the edge of the zone. In hindsight, the smarter play would have been to toe Conquest into the zone to ensure I had at least one model threatening controlling it if I managed to clear it. Mulg was going to get to Conquest regardless of what I did next turn, so moving it back didn't do much (it sort of forced the Trample due to the intervening WGI, but it could have just as easily died to free up the lane).

Alternatively, if I didn't want to move Conquest up, I could have had Joe run to toe into the zone after buffing the WGI. That's another "hindsight is 20/20" moment, but another important thing to bear in mind. It was crucial that I score that turn to have any hope of winning on scenario, so I should have taken a safer, smarter route with making sure a model was in place to score.

Noteworthy Model Thoughts:
I haven't liked the Winter Guard Rocketeers much in the past, so they've usually been the first thing I cut to free up points for solos/other pleasantries. A big part of that is that I haven't used them much - they were really different models in Mk. 1/Mk. 2 beta, and I didn't use WGI all that often for quite some time - so now that I'm running WGI more often I wanted to put them back in.

I've also turned the corner a bit on understanding how they can be useful. I used to deploy and use them very aggressively in the early game, which often led to them getting killed early (since they're a fairly juicy target relative to the rest of the unit). They didn't light the world on fire or anything this game, but they definitely let me bank some deep shots that I wouldn't have been able to otherwise, mostly into the Krielstone unit, and I appreciate that. I think I'll enjoy having them as I play more games and get more experience with them. One thing I really need to work on is Take Up placement; it's a tricky balancing act between clumping up too much and spreading out too far, but that's something that will hopefully improve over time.

The Nyss + Valachev module is, unsurprisingly, great. It compliments the shooting output of this list particularly well: WGI have high accuracy and volume but short range, Conquest can (theoretically) throw out a lot of AOEs, and the Nyss can project long range CRA shots that ignore two of the most common defensive bonuses. Valachev is great as always for Zephyr, with the added bonus that he allows Shatterstorm to go on the unit (heightening the potential output of their ranged alpha strike). What is even better about the module in this list is that Shatterstorm is all Valachev is necessary for - Iron Flesh is "Friendly" and Sorscha2's feat affects enemy models, so Valachev's unfortunate death doesn't unglue some key synergy you were bringing him along for (unlike with a 'casters such as Irusk2, Vlad2, or Vlad1).

Conquest continues to be a great tank, especially when the Mechaniks made Repair checks like that. I'm still holding out hope for Victor to be the superior gun platform, however, as Conquest's ranged output is pretty sad outside of pulling random criticals out of nowhere (which, in fairness, is almost always amazing).

List Changes/Tweaks:
None right now, especially since there isn't any wiggle room to switch things around. The only thing I might be willing to change is to swap out the two Rocketeers for a solo (I already miss the majesty that is Conquest with Dark Shroud attacking models under Sorscha2's feat) but I'm going to stick with them for awhile before changing anything. They already pulled some weight this game, and I have a feeling that they'll continue to be generally very useful.

As mentioned in the previous section, I'm eagerly awaiting Victor spoilers (which are only a month or so away, assuming the book drops at Lock & Load 2015). I'm happy enough with Conquest that I don't really like the idea of swapping it out for anything else (though I can certainly see the general merit in Sorscha2's lists that don't use the big guy), but I do often long for a colossal that can do more work, more consistently.

This list is meant to be sort of an anti-infantry list that happens to lean towards taking on a variety of opposing lists, and unfortunately if there's one thing that Conquest sucks at it's (ironically) killing any sizable amount of infantry (at least, without some buffs backing him up). The Victor seems like it'll be much better equipped in that regard - a 5" Fire causing AOE is a great start already - so I'm very, very interested in seeing how it may fit into this list.

Closing Thoughts:
I still have a lot of practice to go before I'm really comfortable with this list and can run it effectively (the clock is probably always going to be my greatest foe), but I like it a lot. I'm looking forward to getting more games in with it, and hopefully by the time the next event I've planned to attend rolls around (sometime in June) I'll have enough experience with it to not trip over myself and clock out when the chips are down.

Although I managed to sneak this game in, May is looking to be a busy month, so it may be awhile before I have another battle report to post up. The next time I get to play, I'll be sure to share my thoughts and impressions of how this list continues to perform. Or give thoughts on how Butcher3's list continues to run - possibly with an actual Ruin model - depending on how match ups go.

Until next time, thanks very much for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment