Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Sorscha2 vs. Goreshade1 - What A Bastard

This past week saw our group taking a break from our Descent (Second Edition) campaign which meant it was time for some more Warmachine!

My friend had a Cryx list he's been wanting to get more practice in with, and I've been wanting to practice with a Cryx/infantry horde solution to pair with Irusk2, so we matched up against each other.

Without further ado (there will be much ado later,) lets get into the game!


Lists:
My List:
Forward Kommander Sorscha (*6pts)
   * Conquest (19pts)
   * Sylys Wyshnalyrr, the Seeker (2pts)
Battle Mechaniks (Leader and 3 Grunts) (2pts)
Iron Fang Uhlans (Leader and 2 Grunts) (7pts)
Kayazy Eliminators (Leader and Grunt) (3pts)
Lady Aiyana & Master Holt (4pts)
Tactical Arcanist Corps (4pts)
Winter Guard Infantry (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
   * Winter Guard Infantry Officer & Standard (2pts)
Eiryss, Angel of Retribution (3pts)
Gorman di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist (2pts)
Kovnik Jozef Grigorovich (2pts)

That sure is a Sorscha2 list, eh? Nothing terribly innovative, with the only notable differences from the lists I've seen with her being Eliminators, Uhlans, and TAC. Eliminators and Uhlans are in there to give me some additional punch on feat turn (this list is anti-infantry leaning, but I like having some flexibility against a variety of lists) and the TAC are in there because Sorscha2 likes to play forward and I'm a paranoid man.

My Friend's List:
Goreshade the Bastard (*6pts)
   * Nightmare (10pts)
   * Slayer (6pts)
   * Slayer (6pts)
Bane Knights (Leader and 9 Grunts) (10pts)
Bane Riders (Leader and 4 Grunts) (11pts)
Bane Lord Tartarus (4pts)
Darragh Wrathe (4pts)
Necrotech & 1 Scrap Thrall (1pts)
Warwitch Siren (2pts)
Warwitch Siren (2pts)
Point of fact, this is exactly why I don't like to skew lists too hard. If someone told you they were playing Cryx, would you expect this? (I knew it was coming, but most people wouldn't.) You can read more about his ideas behind the list on his blog.

Scenario: SR2014 Fire Support, with Deathclock game timing (60 mins per player)



Deployment:
Deployment and Round 1
To clarify the terrain a bit: brown blobs with green bits are Forests, the brown-on-brown blob is Difficult Terrain and Concealment, and the red things are Linear Obstacles.

The bases on the table without anything on them are the objectives, and the bases with symbols on them are the flags. Also, one proxy due to a missing model: the armless crabjack that you'll see wandering around the backfield is actually Darragh Wrathe.

Sorscha wins the die roll and opts for first turn.

Round 1:
Standard first round of running on both sides. Sorscha gets Iron Flesh on the WGI and casts Boundless Charge on Conquest to get him a little further up the table turn 1.

Everything in Goreshade's army runs up with Goreshade's battlegroup advancing under the cover of Shadowmancer.

Round 2:
Start of Round 2
Sorscha Turn 2:
Sorscha drops Iron Flesh and doesn't allocate anything to Conquest due to Eiryss2 proximity (*mega sadface*.) Conquest starts off the turn by lobbing a shot towards the Bane Riders, but misses and the scatter does nothing. It then lays out Creeping Barrage templates on the off chance it may kill a Bane Knight.

The WGI advance under Bob & Weave and shoot down two of the Bane Riders. Joe follows up by making them Tough and Fearless, and Sorscha re-applies Iron Flesh.

On the right flank the Uhlans re-position to angle in charges on the enemy objective while the Eliminators stand in front of them to attempt to intercept Bane Knights.

Eiryss, Aiyana and Holt (A&H), and Gorman all shuffle around (with Eiryss making damn sure to stay more than 5" away from Conquest in the future,) and the TAC put clouds in front of Sorscha.

Goreshade Turn 2:
Goreshade keeps all of his focus. The Warwitch Sirens start off by Power Boosting the two Slayers. Goreshade then advances, casts a boosted to-hit Hex Blast at the WGI (which connects, dispelling Iron Flesh and killing the target) and finishes his activation by casting Shadowmancer.

The Bane Riders and the leftmost Slayer lay into the WGI, killing 6 after the dust settles. The lone Scrap Thrall also tried to get in on the action but came up short with it's charge distance and ends up just hanging out nearby.

Tartarus advances and Curses the Eliminators, then the Bane Knights charge them with three making distance. One Bane Knight connects, killing the Eliminator (morale check passes.) Everything else positions for the counter attack next turn.

Round 3:
Start of Round 3
Sorscha Turn 3:
Sorscha allocates two focus to Conquest and keeps the remaining four.

The remaining Eliminator charges Tartarus, passes her Terror check (!) and then kills him with her Combo Strike attack (!!!). Sylys gives Sorscha the Arcane Secrets buff, which she then uses to attempt to Freezing Grip the Bane Knights. Unfortunately the result is a '5', so she resigns herself to popping her feat and hanging out.

Joe gives the WGI +3 STR, then shoots at one of the Bane Riders, doing no damage. Aiyana advances to Harm the leftmost Slayer and Gorman hits it with a Rust Bomb as well. Holt shuffles to the right to get shots on Bane Knights in front of Conquest, killing two.

The WGI charge into the Bane Riders and the leftmost Slayer. One Bane Rider is killed and the other is left with 1 damage box remaining; meanwhile the Slayer is scrapped via a 3 model CMA (between buffs, debuffs, feat, and a good roll.)

The Uhlans charge into the Slayer on the right and the Bane Knights, killing two Bane Knights and scrapping the Slayer. Conquest shoots at the furthest clump of Bane Knights, throwing two with a Critical and killing one. It then tosses Secondary Battery shots on the right side at other nearby Bane Knights which do not kill any, and puts down Creeping Barrage templates on the left side in anticipation of Bane Thrall charges.

Eiryss runs to within 5" of Nightmare. The TAC advance and put clouds in front of Sorscha.

Goreshade Turn 3:
In the Maintenance Phase, the Bane Knights get their suite of Vengeance attacks, which they use to kill one of the Uhlans. Goreshade keeps all of his focus.

The Deathwalker starts off the turn by walking near Eiryss and the remaining Eliminator to debuff their DEF. The left Warwitch Siren then attempts to Venom Eiryss, but misses and kills herself due to Whiplash. That Venom does kill a nearby WGI.

The Necrotech follows up by making 4 Scrap Thralls out of the nearby Heavy Wreck Marker. The Scrap Thralls are placed around two of the WGI and Eiryss.

The pre-existing Scrap Thrall on the left flank attempts to grab one of the WGI but misses, killing itself, the intended WGI and the nearby Bane Rider in the explosion (due to the Bane Rider being left at 1 damage box previously.) The remaining, newly promoted Bane Rider runs over to engage Joe.

The Bane Knights throw attacks into the Uhlans and the remaining Eliminator, killing another Uhlan (morale check passes.) Darragh rides up and attempts to scythe and hoof the Eliminator to death but misses both attacks.

Goreshade advances, kills the Eliminator with a boosted attack, then pops his feat to summon in a minimum unit of Bane Thralls. The Bane Thralls then charge Conquest, but the Heavy Wreck Marker in the way makes it difficult for many of them to make distance. Two end up successfully charging (with the rest hanging preparing for next round.) The two charging attacks do some damage but break no systems.

Nightmare advances and punches the Scrap Thralls around Eiryss, blowing them up and killing her.

Round 4:
(Apologies for the missing picture; apparently I forgot to take one this round!)

Sorscha Turn 4:
Sorscha allocates two focus to Conquest and keeps the rest. Sylys gives her the Arcane Secrets boost, and she makes up for her previous failure by successfully casting Freezing Grip on the Bane Knights. Sorscha then shoots a Bane Thrall with her Quad Iron.

The Mechaniks lead off the turn by advancing and repairing around 2/3rds of the damage done to Conquest the previous turn. Aiyana advances and Harms the Bane Thrall unit, while Holt shoots down the two Bane Thralls in front of Conquest.

The TAC advance and two throw Flame Blasts around to try and clear out Banes, while the third TAC puts a cloud in front of Sorscha. Conquest then advances and unloads on the objective, leaving it with one damage box remaining.

The remaining Uhlan charges Darragh but whiffs his impact and charge attacks. Joe gives himself +3 STR and manages to kill the Bane Ride engaging him in melee.

The WGI tied up with the Scrap Thralls and Necrotech attempt to punch the Necrotech to death without success. Gorman advances and catches Nightmare with Black Oil.

Goreshade Turn 4:
Goreshade keeps all of his focus. The Deathwalker starts off by advancing up to kick out it's DEF debuff. Nightmare forfeits it's action to advance and engage Gorman.

The Scrap Thrall engaging the two WGI attempts to walk out of combat, is killed by the freestrike, and then kills that WGI, the Necrotech, and Gorman with the blast.

Darragh moves out of combat with the Uhlan (free strike misses) and kills Holt with a Hellfire, causing Aiyana to flee. The nearby Warwitch Siren advances and stabs the Uhlan to death.

The remaining Bane Thralls charge into Conquest, doing another chunk of damage.

Round 5:
Start of Round 5
Sorscha Turn 5: 
Sorscha allocates 4 focus to Conquest and keeps the remaining 2. She starts off the turn by casting Boundless Charge on Conquest, then kills a Bane Thrall.

Joe advances, gives out boosted attack rolls, and shoots down the Deathwalker. The WGI Officer attempts to shoot the last Bane Thrall, but comes up short on damage. One of the TAC manages to kill the last Bane Thrall in the way of Conquest.

The Mechaniks repair damage off of, Conquest who then charges Goreshade but comes up half an inch short.

Goreshade Turn 5:
Sorscha ended her turn with around 45 seconds of time left, so all Goreshade really has to do is stay safe and pass the turn to win the game. We call it as a clock out there.

Because Nightmare is within charge range of Sorscha (doubly so thanks to Prey on Conquest giving it a movement bonus) we roll out his attacks. Sorscha barely survives, but that is more due to wonky dice than anything else.

Result: Goreshade wins via Deathclock!

Post-Game Thoughts:
This was an excellent game, through and through. It came right down to the wire - my friend had only a minute or two left when my clock ran out - and we had both blown each other's armies up handily, which I consider to be the markers of a great back and forth. Most of my other thoughts are better covered elsewhere, so lets get on with it!

Things That Went Well:
Conquest survived the game, and was in pretty good condition at game's end. Although this list isn't optimized to mulch a colossal, I feel good about navigating Conquest through a game against Cryx without it being eaten (and this list could have done that had I made one of a few mistakes.)

Conquest actually ended up being a pretty important and useful model in this game: it was big and tough enough that I could push it forward carefully without too much worry, and it's guns came in handy in a few places (though more in that in a minute.) It also gave me a really strong endgame tool to threaten Goreshade and Nightmare with.

The WGI did well. It felt like they got cut down super easily, but part of that was a placement error/forced error on my part. They still accounted for almost all of the Bane Riders, one Slayer, and the Necrotech which is a fine showing. Hell I even had a couple left at the end of the game!

Although it was all a dice spike in this game (needed a 12 to kill Tartarus with the charge attack) the Eliminators did about what I expected them to: get to a particularly troublesome solo and take it out. I'd have much preferred to have both of them available for that (the math on that is much better, assuming they pass the Terror test,) but that's something to try harder for in the future.

Gorman sure is Gorman.

Things That Did Not Go Well:
While some things didn't go well, I think they're better filed under "mistakes" than match up or model issues. Most of the stuff I had did it's job well, and when it didn't it felt more like user error than anything else.

Key Mistakes/Things To Do Differently:
Missing the first Freezing Grip attempt on the Bane Knights was a big deal. My initial plan was to push up the table a little further with Conquest on that turn and use him to punch the right Slayer to death, which would then put Conquest in a strong scenario position. That absolutely required the Bane Knights to be frozen, however, because there was no way it was going to survive being charged by Bane Thralls, Bane Knights, and potentially Nightmare (though that's why Eiryss2 was on "run by" watch.)

You can't control how the dice come up, but you damn sure can control the dice you roll. I was being greedy that turn and wanted to give Conquest two focus so it could boost both initial attacks at the Slayer. With the feat up, just one attack is "likely" to do around 24 damage, so two attacks will absolutely kill it.

What I should have done instead was give Conquest one focus, then spend 5 on a boosted, Arcane Secret'd Freezing Grip at the Bane Knights. That would make it much less likely to miss, Conquest can still get in one good punch (with decent odds at hitting the other one, especially if the first blasts out Movement,) and then I can pour all kinds of attacks into the Bane Knights and possibly the objective.

My original plan was to toss the Uhlans at the Bane Knights and objective; much more palatable when they can't attack back next turn and all my attacks (especially impact attacks) automatically hit. Having to actually make melee attacks threw that whole plan into the gutter, especially since my Uhlans proved they weren't feeling super accurate that day.

Having Eiryss within 5" of Conquest at the start of turn 2 was a hilariously stupid mistake. First off, it's totally preventable; if I just wait to move her until after I charge up Conquest I can't screw it up. I moved her early and absolutely brain farted (I could blame the bourbon but I don't think I'd had enough at that point.) Being able to toss a fully boosted shot into a Bane Rider on Turn 2 may have meant that I'd have had one less Bane Rider coming my way, possibly even better than that if I get a lucky crit and toss one into another. A silly, silly mistake. Lesson learned!

I made a big mistake by not trying to kill the Necrotech. It's sometimes those random rules you forget about that get you and in this case having 4 exploding solos pop up and gum up my remaining models was a big pain in the ass. And, probably wholly preventable: instead of tossing a Secondary Battery shot at the Bane Knight I could have easily just shot at the Necrotech, with good odds of killing him - one focus hanging around to boost, potential four shots if I devote both Secondary Batterys to it, and double damage due to feat turn.

I feel like I did a terrible job of playing for scenario this game. I had an opportunity to score on Turn 4 and botched it with misallocated attacks (combined with being overly cautious about Scrap Thrall explosions,) and I think if I would have pushed harder for the objective and killing models that turn I may have been able to at least set up a scenario win. I was running low on time, so not terribly likely this game, but definitely something to be more mindful of in the future.

Charging Goreshade at the end was a desperate gamble due to being low on time (and high on hope!) but it was also the wrong desperate gamble. What I should have done instead was charge Nightmare (who I was almost certain I had distance to) and try to catch Goreshade in melee that way. At the very least that lets me punch Nightmare to death (which again, puts me in a really good scenario position on that side) and if I got lucky and somehow still made distance to Goreshade I could have potentially tossed two attacks into him (one fully boosted initial and one boosted to-hit purchased attack.) It was all kind of academic due to lack of time, but again that's something to keep in mind for the future.

Finally, I made a bit of a positioning error, though part of it was caused by the Eiryss2 flub and part of it may not have been preventable. I moved the WGI up too aggressively near Goreshade, which made it easy for him to Hex Blast off Iron Flesh. Granted, he still needs to hit the 10, but it's better to deny him the opportunity totally if possible. I'm not sure how likely that is given the threat range of it (16", more with a charge,) but again something to bear in mind.

Noteworthy Model Thoughts:
I debated Mechaniks in the list. In the end, I'm very happy I had them around. Without repairs the subsequent charges on Conquest probably would have left him half dead around endgame. With repairs he was still cruising with 50+ boxes.

I don't think I really like the Uhlans with Sorscha2 due to their need for some kind of offensive help (most often in the "to hit" department) but I also don't hate them either. Immediately after the game I was disappointed in them, but looking back on it they did right about what I wanted them to do: kill a heavy. If I had been more mindful of scenario they would have been able to help me get the first CP of the game, and if that first Freezing Grip connects I think they'd have done a number on that flank. I still may drop them due to MAT 6 making my blood pressure spike, but I think they did alright.

I am unsure of the utility of the TAC in this list. The cautious part of me thinks the smoke bunker is great, especially since Sorscha is likely to want to spend all or almost all of her stack most turns. The aggressive part of me wishes those 4 points were something a little more offensive.

I'm going to leave them in for now, especially since I feel like they allow you to be even more aggressive with Sorscha than I was. With Cyclone, you can spend your whole stack every turn getting out (roughly) 16" range Freezing Grips, which is pretty nuts. And even better when you have a safe location to fall back to.

Overall I feel like I need to practice a lot more with Sorscha2. She's not the most complicated 'caster out there, but she does have a suite of options you need to consider and I feel like I wasn't making the best use of her abilities this game.

List Changes/Tweaks:
Conquest is a big pivot point for this list (as it usually is.) I like it, but it's also kind of a pain to deal with and has mediocre offensive output at range, so I could see downsizing him to Beast-09 or something else. That would free up a ton of points to put into all kinds of shenanigan models. I'm going to stick with Conquest for a little while longer (if nothing else for the fun of it) but its definitely something I may change.

I'm seriously debating swapping the Uhlans out for other options. I can easily swap them with another unit of Eliminators and Widowmakers, which would have probably done about as well this game (if not overall better.) I do like the hitting potential the Uhlans have though, so I may keep this list as-is for another game or two and see how they pan out.

The TAC have a "?" over them as well, but I'd probably cut/change all those other elements before I'd mess with them.

I could also swap the "module" of Uhlans + Eliminators out for any 10 point unit. Nyss are a potent choice, as are Kayazy Assassins + UA (though I don't like their adding to the lack of Pathfinder in this list.) I kind of prefer the flexibility of having multiple activations across Eliminators + other units, though Nyss are awfully tempting for the package they bring to the table.

Closing Thoughts:
Overall, a very fun game with a decent first stab at a Sorscha2 list. I definitely need more practice with her and with this list, but it feels like a good compliment to Irusk2's list and it's refreshingly flexible and capable (playing Harkevich for so long has given me a fine appreciation for such things.)

I'm not sure how often I'll get the chance to play Warmachine in the near future, but when I do I'm looking forward to refining this list and working more on the pair of Irusk2/Sorscha2 in general.

Thanks very much for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment