Thursday, October 1, 2015

Kingdom Death: Monster - The Early Models

Of all of the Kickstarters I've backed, there are two that I have almost totally positive feelings about.

(Thoughts about Kingdom Death: Monster and pics of early models from the Kickstarter after the break)

The first is the Kickstarter for Wrath of Kings. I still have yet to actually try the game out - the friend who convinced me to buy into it with him hasn't gotten his models together yet - but the models are overall quite excellent and it was delivered only slightly behind schedule. Which in Kickstarter terms is a remarkable adherence to a timetable.

Especially when you contrast that with another Kickstarter I backed oh so many years ago at this point: Kingdom Death: Monster (KD:M). That Kickstarter was so long ago that I honestly would forget about it until a backer update email would go out.

Unlike some other Kickstarters that had significant delays (Relic Knights being the biggest one I've bought in for), I've been 100% okay with the delays that have come along for KD:M. The main reason for this - and what hurt Relic Knights badly in the turbulent time between the Kickstarter closing and product fulfillment - is that Adam Poots (the man in charge the Kingdom Death product line) was always very clear with his communications to the backers.

Not always timely, mind you. As I mentioned there were lulls in communication that were long enough to where I forgot KD:M existed, let alone that I had pledged to it. What kept me in good spirits about KD:M even as it slid further and further away from its original shipping estimate is that the delays were always very clearly communicated, and (this is the critical part) the reasons for the delays were also very honestly and openly stated.

Honesty and openness go a long way with me. And they buy you even more goodwill when they communicate that the delays are due to an almost pathological pursuit of quality with the final product. It is much, much easier to be okay with delays when you know they are to ensure quality (especially after getting a Kickstarter like Relic Knights which ended up having very inconsistent models).

Every update stressed the project's devotion to delivering the highest quality product possible. That isn't too surprising when you look at the rest of the Kingdom Death miniatures line - high quality, "boutique" showpiece models - and it seems like that devotion is going to pay off: the final boxed set looks to be an absolutely stunning piece of work.

I was surprised and excited when, a few weeks ago, I received a shipment notice from KD:Ms Kickstarter. At first I thought it was the full game proper, but after actually reading the shipping list it turned out to be just the add-on models I had purchased. That was slightly disappointing, but it turns out there isn't much longer to wait: shipment of the final boxed set should start in October 2015.

I fully intend to do a breakdown of the KD:M box once I get it (assuming I can lift that beast without throwing my back out,) but I wanted to share pictures of the models I've received so far as an example of the general model quality we can hopefully expect with KD:M.

Messenger of the First Story (left)
and
Messenger of Courage (right)


"Survivor" Candy and Cola


Messenger of Hope sprue 1 (left)
and
White Speaker (right)
Messenger of Hope (both sprues)
I haven't had the chance to put the models together yet, but just looking at them on the sprues, they look to be very good models. These models are yet another step up in what we can expect out of plastic models, with excellent detail and depth - this shot doesn't do it justice, but the Messenger of Hope's cape looks fantastic - while also being designed for maximum ease of assembly (again fairly evident looking at the many slots on the Messenger of Hope's model).

The models combine the overall excellence of Malifaux's plastic models (I'd say these are a cut above even the best examples from that line) with the size of Privateer Press' models. The takeaway is that these should be really fun models to paint, and I can't wait to see what pro painters are able to do with some of these models.

I'll be sure to swing back and post pictures and impressions of these models when I get around to assembling them, and you better believe I'll be posting about the KD:M box when it finally shows up!

No comments:

Post a Comment