Thursday, April 9, 2015

Painting Log: Mercenary Edition - Order Sergeants

Various model construction projects (Convergence, Wrath of Kings) and some serious video gaming (Bind of Issac is sooooo good) derailed my painting for a bit, but I'm getting back on track. Up next was a set of Order Sergeants as part of my continued painting Infinity for Infinity efforts.

Join me after the break to see how the second set of models came out, as well as a few paint recommendations for particularly problematic colors.



Next up in my Pan-O panting adventure was a set of Order Sergeants - three with Combi Rifles, one with a MULTI Sniper Rifle, and one with a Spitfire.

I had one big concern with these models: lots and lots of white. As I mentioned in the last Pan-O painting entry, painting white is usually frustrating for me. The main white paint I've been using - P3's Morrow White - is often either too chalky, or too thin and prone to streaking. On the rare occasions when I can mix it up properly, it works well, but more often than not I end up frustrated with how Morrow White works out.

Based on a recommendation from a friend, I picked up the GW Ceramite White Base paint. After using it exclusively for the white on these models, I give it a hearty two thumbs up recommendation. It's still a white paint, so it's going to take a little bit of work to coat over a dark base (and in my case, a grey undercoat), but it does fully coat in fewer layers than the Morrow White.

Much more importantly, Ceramite White was very pleasant to work with. Unlike the Morrow White, which often ended up too thick or thin, it was easy to thin the Ceramite White down to the same consistency every time (and still have it coat effectively). Morrow White, you are now dead to me.

Related, but not as revelatory: I also tried out the GW Mephiston Red Base paint. I've built up a lot of red painting techniques over the years (yay Khador?), but I've always appreciated any easy out I can find for getting a decent red base coat down. My approach for the past year or two has been P3's Skorne Red base with Khador Red Base over that (usually in a few layers). This approach works well, though it can get tricky over larger areas (where the lighter red is more prone to streaking) and it has the issue of lacking a real "mid tone" red (going from deep red in the base up to the brighter red main coat).

My use of the Mephiston Red on these models was very light - literally, just the "lights" areas - but I liked what I saw. The Mephiston Red coated well, even over black, and the Khador Red Base went on easily over it. What was very nice was that the Mephiston Red was actually a solid, mid-tone red color, so the Khador Red Base didn't need to completely coat and serve as the "primary" red color (which is usually when it's a pain to get right). I think over larger areas (even only slightly larger) I'd still go with something like Skorne Red as an under coat, but the approach would then be: Skorne Red -> Mephiston Red -> Khador Red Base. That should produce a really nice red color, and it would hopefully do so in fewer coats than my previous approach. I'll find out for sure when Ruin releases.

As for the Order Sergeants themselves, they honestly turned out to be easier to paint than I expected. Part of that was due to the efficacy of the Ceramite White (it probably cut the total painting time on the white parts in half) and part of it was due to the models being less complex than I originally anticipated. They have plenty of little fiddly bits (the green trim/straps on the armor was "fun" to pick out) but for the most part they're pretty straight forward: metal, cloth, black armor, other details, done.

It is interesting to contrast some of these models with the newer Pan-O models I painted. Four of these models - the three Combi Rifle models and the MULTI Sniper Rifle model - feel like they're older Infinity models. I can't quite put my finger on why though. They just have some of the hallmarks of the old Infinity models (that I didn't like very much): they're kind of thin and gangly, the details on them are fine but not always sensical, and the armor designs are a little odd.

The Order Sergeant with Spitfire feels like a newer model, and not coincidentally it was the one I enjoyed painting the most. The pose is great, the armor design is slick, and the proportions feel more "realistic". Whatever the reason, it's definitely the best looking model out of the bunch.

With this set of models complete, I'm over the halfway mark! The next set of models should, in theory, be even easier to paint than this set was (still plenty of white cloth, but more black and metallic armor) so hopefully I'll be able to punch those out. I have a few possible Khador models for painting that I'm itching to get to (I'm considering Raluk Mooreclaw + Vanguard for Butcher3,) and I need to make sure my table is clear and ready for Ruin's release in May (though I probably won't actually get to him until early June). And then all the other new Reckoning releases, and my Convergence, and my Malifaux....

Point being, I have a lot to paint still, so I need get these Infinity models done post haste! Thankfully, it shouldn't take me too much longer to finish them up. Knock wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment