Thursday, June 18, 2015

Mercenary Painting Log Finale: Jeanne d'Arc

After what feels like way too long, I am finally finished painted the Pan-O models I so heartily agreed to paint for a friend, in exchange for Nomad models. Join me after the break for some shots of the final model (Pan-O character Jeanne d'Arc), thoughts on the project as a whole, and what is next on the painting docket.


Jeanne d'Arc, Front-Side
Jeanne d'Arc, Back-Side

Jeanne d'Arc 1.0 (there is a second version of the character available, which seems to be relatively rare in Infinity) is actually a pretty nice model, considering that it falls on the timeline of Infinity models that I don't care for very much. While I love the sleek, hyper-refined models that have been coming out for Infinity recently, I really do not like a lot of the older models. I've never really been able to put my finger on why - it might be the poses and the proportions on a lot of those older models. In fairness, Infinity isn't the only miniatures line guilty of that (though it's probably one of the lines that bugs me the most if I go back too far into the catalog).

Jeanne 1.0 surprised me by having an interesting sculpt, but without adding a bunch of random, fiddly bits onto the model. Having painted a ton of Warmachine, I'm used to "important model/character = covered in random baubles/details"; hell, in that system even regular models can be covered in indulgent details. Jeanne 1.0 certainly has some blinging going on (the two symbols on her forearm plates), but for the most part she just has nicely sculpted, fairly distinct armor to set her apart.

I'm not entirely sure if Jeanne 1.0 comes with that rifle, or if my friend had a spare one left over from...something and just stuck it on her back. Regardless, I like it. Jeanne 1.0's studio photos don't have the rifle and I think the rifle does an unintentionally great job of making the model look more intimidating (and offsetting the somewhat goofy pose).

So, how was painting all that Infinity?

Honestly, pretty fun. It was a bit of a large batch to have to sit down and paint all at once, but overall I really enjoyed painting up a different style of model.

A large reason for that is because, until recently with Malifaux, the only models I've been painting for the past forever years have been Privateer Press models. Although they're done by different sculptors, models across a product line (hopefully) have a consistency to them that makes gives them identity. That is what usually draws you to a particular game's models, and what keeps you coming back. However, that consistency also makes painting models from that product line over the course of many years get a little old. Even if you vary it up with different color schemes, different models in the product line, or a different army entirely, that general sense of product consistency makes it impossible to shake that you're painting similar models over and over after awhile.

The only way to break that up is to move to a different product line entirely (or, the company may make some drastic changes to their model line, but that doesn't happen too often). Painting Malifaux has been extremely fun for that reason, and Infinity offers a chance to paint a different set of models that still have a tech edge.

Infinity models (at least the ones I've looked at and worked with so far) tend to be fairly utilitarian in their design. As mentioned above, models in PP games tend to be over-accessorized and over-detailed in order to make them stand out, fit the feel of the Iron Kingdoms (steam punk fantasy comic book), and fill in open areas (PP's sculptors seem particularly terrified of a regular 'ol flat armor plate). Infinity, by contrast, has precious few bits and baubles on their models, and when those things are present they're almost always there for practical reasons.

While I wouldn't want to have to sit down and paint another batch of this size all in one go again (though in fairness, I don't think my friend was in any real rush to get the models back) I do look forward to painting up the Nomads I now own. They'll be a great way to break up my other painting projects, especially as I move into painting Convergence for Warmachine (which has ballooned into a decent sized collection).

And - in the parallel universe where I catch up on all my Warmachine models and somehow stop buying more to paint - I'll eventually be "stuck" with only Malifaux models to paint, so having another system around to break up possible Malifaux painting monotony will be nice. But I'm not so much worried about that for...awhile now.

The best part about painting these Infinity models - other than the Nomads I received in exchange - is that it effectively stalled until new Khador models could make their way into my grubby mitts. As you can see in the pictures above, Ruin was next on my list, and after finishing Jeanne 1.0 and getting Ruin's replacement arm (thanks for the quick replacement from PP!) I have him painted up and started on. And I have Zerkova2 coming to me this week courtesy of a friend at Lock & Load, so I'll have her and her guards to work on after I'm finished with Ruin.

That should catch me up on Khador for the foreseeable future - the release list up through September is just Zerkova2 in August - though I'm eagerly awaiting news on a release date for the Grolar (which we've now seen a model for). I'm also excited for the Rager (almost certainly as part of a Berserker/Rager/Mad Dog kit) and extremely excited for Victor, but models for those entries are essentially just a hope of a dream at this point, so I'm not holding my breath on a release date for either of those.

If I'm lucky and can catch up on painting my Khador (I also have to resist the strong urge to buy one of the new plastic BD IFP units to finally have my second set) I can finally start in on painting my Convergence, which I primed up oh so long ago. I'm still very excited to paint that army and play it more - and painting it will make playing it easier, as models will have arcs and the Prime Axiom will be assembled - so I'm hoping I can at least put a dent in the model count I have for that army before the next big wave of Khador stuff comes along.

Thankfully, Convergence running the way it does, I don't have a ton of models to paint in order to catch up with them, so we'll see how it goes. Here's hoping I can get my Prime Axiom painted before a Prime Conflux ends up in my collection.


No comments:

Post a Comment